Assistant Head and Safeguarding Lead
Red Balloon Educational Trust Norfolk
Location: 76 Earlham Road, Norwich
Hours: Full Time, 40 Hours per week during Term Time. Plus, additional 4 weeks on call outside of term time.
Salary: £32,945 – £35,940 per annum, Depending on experience
Start Date: 3rd January 2024
Imagine being part of the original team that built and developed a new incredible educational provision for some of the most vulnerable young people in the country…….If this sounds like something you would love to get involved with, you might not have to imagine anymore……
Red Balloon Norfolk will be the newest Centre within the Red Balloon Educational Trust family and we are seeking an Assistant Head who will also be our Safeguarding Lead to turn our new site into a thriving educational and wellbeing space for up to 20 young people.
This is an exciting opportunity for a passionate and forward-thinking individual who may have been in a senior role within education and is looking to take the next step up to an Assistant Head position, or you have held a similar post before and are keen to be a part of something from the very beginning of its journey.
As an Assistant Head, you will hold a crucial role in creating the Red Balloon culture that we know creates the best opportunities for our students as well as helping colleagues become the most skilled practitioners they can be. You will take responsibility for Safeguarding and data security within the provision.
Working closely with the Head of Centre, Deputy Head and Central Services team, you will apply your professional knowledge to developing child-centred responses to meeting the needs of our students and enjoy the flexibility working in alternative provision allows, as a professional and as an individual.
With a maximum student number of 20, we expect that the staff numbers will reach 14 to 18 within the next 12-18 months and will consist of Teaching Mentors, Learning Mentors, Therapeutic and Administrative staff.
Some key responsibilities of this role include:
- As Assistant Head, undertake full responsibility for all matters relating to the provision in the absence of the Head of Centre / Deputy Head of Centre
- As part of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), ensure that the quality of Safeguarding across the provision meets individual student needs in line with Statutory Frameworks
- To take the role of Safeguarding lead and DSL within the Centre and act as a source of support, advice and expertise for staff within the school for child protection and safeguarding
- Act as the data administrator for the Centre, ensuring all data is managed and maintained in accordance with GDPR and KCSIE guidelines, with the support of the Central Services DPO.
To be considered for this role you will need to have:
- Experience in a role directly supporting families with children under 18
- Knowledge and understanding of early interventions, strategies that work effectively with families
- Evidence of continuous professional development
- Experience as a DSL within an educational setting
- Up to date knowledge of relevant safeguarding legislation and the ability to promote a culture of safeguarding across the school community
- Understanding of GDPR and confident in the management of special category data
You can view a full job description and person specification below.
How to Apply
In line with safer recruitment practices, we are only able to accept applications via our application forms, which can be accessed by following the application link above. You can save your application at any point and come back to it at a later stage.
For more details about our recruitment and interview process, please see our recruitment pack which can be downloaded via the link above.
If you would like to apply for this role, though require a different format of application, such as large print or the opportunity to submit a video application or an application via an alternative method, please contact HR and Operations Lead via email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 07878 837 902 and we would be happy to arrange an alternative application method.
There are currently two Red Balloon Centres operating in Norfolk:
Red Balloon Educational Trust Norfolk (RBET – Norfolk) is relaunching our Earlham Road site as a new Centre, which will open in Autumn 2023 to help meet some of the demand in the area. The vacancy above is for the RBET – Norfolk Centre.
Red Balloon Norwich, which opened in 2006, moved location in 2022 and is currently located on Drayton Road. Red Balloon Norwich will not be able to answer any questions about the vacancy above as it is not for their Centre.
- The deadline for applications is Midnight Sunday 8th October 2023
- Interviews will be held week commencing the Week commencing 16th October 2023
- There will be a one-stage, face to face interview process, where candidates will be asked to deliver a 5-minute presentation on “How do you feel Trauma impacts on Safeguarding?”
- All applicants will be contacted to advise if they have been shortlisted for an interview
Red Balloon is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and requires the successful candidate to commit to this. The person appointed will be subjected to an enhanced DBS check.
Red Balloon is an equal opportunities employer. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, marital status.